Kings Head

An Inn or Tavern has stood on this site since 1688, at least.  It was originally known as “The Bridge End Inn”, then “The George III”, “The William IV” and latterly “The Kings Head”. 

Behind and to the left of the building is the Wheat Sheaf PH that was demolished in the 1930’s for road widening.

The old photos show two different style buildings on the same site. The new building, with a painted render finish and arched windows on the ground floor was Listed [grade II] by English Heritage [now Historic England] and thought to have been built about 1905.

Part of the building was originally used as a lock up for prisoners awaiting transport to the courts in Newcastle. One of whom was the volatile Ralph ‘Mad’ Maddison, notorious for his malicious practical jokes, arson and larceny.  He was finally hanged in Durham, after the murder of the Laird of Cannyside in 1694.

The nearby Shotley Bridge Workingmen’s Club changed its name to the Kings Head Social Club Ltd in August 2001, then closed its doors and moved into the ground floor of the building in 2002. The annex where the bookmakers used to be has been converted into a snug.

The upper floor of the building is occupied as a separate restaurant.