St Cuthbert’s Church Hall

St Cuthbert’s Sunday School was built in 1881 on land given by Robert Dickenson of Shotley House. It was enlarged in 1886 and 1897. The lower level was once used a living quarters for the church verger.

A modern extension was built in 1999/2000 and dedicated by the Bishop of Durham in September 2000. It was funded with the aid of grants from the Big Lottery Fund and other charitable trusts. This two-storey extension on the east side of the building provides new toilets, storage rooms, and an additional, larger meeting room. Existing basement space was also renovated.

The hall is a Grade II listed building and the front gate piers are included in the listing.

St Cuthbert’s Church Hall is now a registered charity, providing a range of facilities for the wider community.