St Cuthbert’s Church

In 1847 the parish of Benfieldside was created from parts of the existing parishes of Ebchester St Ebba’s and Medomsley St Mary Magdelene.

The foundation stone for St Cuthbert’s Church was laid in March 1849 and building was completed in 1851.  The land was given by Thomas Wilson of Shotley Hall, who also contributed £450 to the cost of construction, totalling £2700. The remainder of the cost was raised by public subscription.

The church was designed by the renowned North East architect John Dobson in the Early English style and comprised a chancel, nave of five bays, transept and a north porch with tower and octagonal spire.

St Cuthbert’s was extended in 1881-86 to a design by J W Walton Wilson, with the building of the south aisle, vestry and organ loft. A new peal of six bells was also then placed in the tower. The organ was replaced in 1884.

The Church is a Grade II listed building, together with the walls, gates and piers at the front of the building.

The south aisle contains two windows designed and manufactured in the Newcastle workshops of William Wailes, who was known for the design of many church stained glass windows throughout the country.