Shotley Grove House

Built for John Annandale, his wife and nine children, Shotley Grove House is a Grade II listed building, which is referenced in Nikolaus Pevner’s Buildings of England.

John Annandale was an influential businessman from Scotland who acquired an old mill and land at Shotley Grove in 1812. Shotley Grove paper mills were the first in the North of England and were some of the largest in England during the 19th century. In 1881 about 300 workers were employed and peak production reached 95 tons per week in 1894. However just 14 years later in 1908 the mills were closed, due to the introduction of paper production from wood pulp and cheap foreign imports. By 1937, all the mill buildings were demolished, except for Shotley Grove and Azalea Houses. The last chimney was felled in 1951.

A number of large residential properties were built for the Annandale family, the grandest being Shotley Grove House. Built on the original mill site, there are the remains of the Low Mill in the grounds.