Shotley Grove High Mill

John Annandale was an influential businessman from Scotland who acquired an old mill and land at Shotley Grove in 1812 and developed it with new technology.

Shotley Grove paper mills were the first in the North of England and were some of the largest in England during the 19th century. In 1881 about 300 workers were employed and peak production reached 95 tons per week in 1894. However between 1908 and 1911 the mill ceased all working, due to the introduction of paper production from wood pulp and cheap foreign imports. 

The success of Annandale’s Paper Mills brought employment and wealth to the area after the decline in sword making. Paper-making led to Shotley Grove being renowned countrywide. HMSO used its cartridge paper and Telford’s family bible was printed on Annandale Paper.

By 1937, all the mill buildings were demolished, except for Shotley Grove and Azalea Houses. The last chimney was felled in 1951.