Shotley Bridge Co-op

The Shotley Bridge Industrial and Provident Society started life in 1862 at the Spa Hotel on Front Street. It soon moved to larger premises across the road, which were razed to the ground and rebuilt in 1903. Following the closure of the Shotley Grove Paper Mills, the Society was taken over in 1910 by the Consett Industrial and Provident Society Limited, No. 4 branch.

By 1937 the department store had closed and the business transferred to Consett.

Some years later the shop fronts were bricked up and the building used for other purposes. The last occupier being Nicholson Aircraft Seals, based at Hamsterley.

In June 2007 Majid Talai, the restaurant owner of Sale Pepe in the village, obtained planning permission to create 3 shops with 2 flats above. The building was given a new lease of life with a faithful re-creation of its original facade. See the article in The Journal newspaper.