Trinity Methodist Church

The first Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1814, in a garden on Wood Street at the bottom of Messenger Bank, given to the Methodists by Christopher Oley. It was enlarged in 1837 to accommodate a growing congregation. 

In 1855, as a growing congregation outgrew the Chapel in Wood Street, the Wesleyan Methodists built and moved to the Trinity Methodist Church at the end of The Terrace. It was designed by the architect William Spence of Shotley Bridge, with seating for 350, at a cost of £1650. A new manse was built on Church Bank behind the church. In 1905 a large Sunday School, with a caretakers house below, was constructed next to the Church.

By 1932 the three branches of Methodism were united. This made an increasing number of churches redundant. From 1940 Sunday services were held alternately in the Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist Churches in Shotley Bridge. This was eventually followed by the amalgamation of the two societies and the decision in 1950 to sell the Trinity Methodist Church and schoolroom but retain the church in Front Street. 

By 1957 the church had been demolished and the Sunday school building sold to the county council for £1500. It was converted to the Village Hall, hosting playgroups, nursery groups, Scouts, Guides and an array of other village activities. Becoming the first community centre in the Consett area.

However, it closed in 2013 after becoming financially unviable. Durham County Council put it up for sale and planning permission was granted in 2018 for a family home. Work has now started on its conversion.